Compression Forming Molds
Production aluminum - Cast alumimum top and bottom mold halves are machined to data that was provided by the customer along with other designed runoff beyond the part trimlines. Mold have alignment cones placed to allow customer to seat mold together in the same location while it is being set up on the press. Production mold could also have the following items assembled which are used during the customers process.
- Internal trimming of molded material - cutting dies / cylinders
- Material holding / clamping - used to hold blank in place during the process.
- Application of other secondary pieces - Apply velcro, insulators, grommets
- Interchangable inserts - automatic movement with diagnostic sensing
- Poke yoke - feedback to PLC for quality assurance
- temperature control - cooling / heating lines / plumbed to regulate to process.
Production & prototype tooling is custom built to suit the customers cycle time and budget. Tooling lead times are contingent on complexity. Tooling could take as little as two weeks to construct to as long as 16 to 20 weeks
Prototype epoxy - Laminated epoxy / fiberglass construction with plywood eggrcrate supports. Built to withstand press loads up to 20 tons over a limited usage for first build parts. Can be constructed in short lead times. Prototype tooling may have cooling lines embedded to reduce cycle times. We have built prototype tooling that has withstood 50,000 cycles over a 4 year period of time depending on the way a customer uses the tool in their process.
There are two methods of making textured mold surfaces.
- Fabricate texture plate master - make a flexible skin off of plate and vacuum the skin onto the pattern surface before casting.
- Prepare the mold surface for acid etching - We have vendors available to acid etch a casting so it will represent the opposite of the finished part when the pattern is etched onto the mold surface.
Textured molds are used primarily for an "A" class finis
Throw in mat plates
Involved with several customer with design and machining of custom plates which contain thousands of profiled holes machined to a pattern. Includes special surface treatment of aluminum plates. Our customers use our design service to assist with any special needs while developing a process
Vacuum Formed Molds
Like compression molds, made from either epoxy laminate or aluminum considering the customers needs to best way part can be molded creating the best tilt and parting line for the process.
Have experience with making tooling to process vinyl, " PVC", high density polyethylene, "HDPE" and polypropylene, PP. Aluminum tooling will have cooling lines plumbed to a manifold, vaccum holes drilled, back plate and vacuum connection.
Vacuum molds can also have a texture placed on the surface to the customers specification. Customer would supply a texture master and then we would use this to develop the textured surface on the mold.